A Question about Typefaces

I have noticed something about the various Typefaces on my computer (you probably call them Fonts, but technically a font is a selection of characters of a selected size in a particular typeface).

Anyway, terminology aside, the thing I have noticed is that the letter “a” is almost always represented by a symbol similar to this…

Letter a

It always has that curved line flowing over the top, even though when we go to school, we are taught to write a letter “a” more like this…

Letters a

Almost all printed matter – newspapers, magazines, books etc., use the first form, yet very few people write it this way.

So I set about looking at the various typefaces on my computer and found that the only ones that showed it in the second form were “handwriting” or “calligraphy” style.

After some searching on the Internet I found a few non-handwriting typefaces/fonts that use the second form of the letter “a”.

Can anyone explain this to me?

October 21, 2011 · Phil Rogers · One Comment
Tags: , ,  · Posted in: General

One Response

  1. Cararta - January 6, 2012

    The printers union. If I remeber from Journalism 1958 the types were cast (think in lead) and those little tips on the a’s broke easily so rounded were better. The often had sets of often used words, but for our school newspaper it was still being handset. No ink jet printers then.
    I still have a Cool Blog category on my page, so I click and visit occasionally.
    Really like what you have done with your site. Outstanding! Come by for a visit.
    C. (This site is still my “coaching blog for John Thornhill unfortunately I play around” my other site is better!

Leave a Reply

Before you submit form:
Human test by Not Captcha