Wine Making Started

My first experiment with wine making is now under way. Nothing could be simpler really. The good thing about wine making using cartons of fruit juice is that there is very little effort involved in the entire process. This is what I have done today.

Sterilisation
I mixed a generous teaspoon of sodium metabisulphite with a pint of water in a measuring jug and used this to sterilise the demijohn fermentation vessel, a funnel and of course, the jug itself. Having done that, I rinsed everything well with clean water.

The Juice
I opened two cartons of juice (i.e. 2 litres) and emptied them into the sterilised jug to make it easier to pour the juice into the demijohn via the funnel. The openings on the juice cartons were not the round type, and they rarely pour evenly, so I used the jug to avoid splashing. I could have probably poured it in directly from the jug, but the funnel did make it a lot easier.

The Yeast
I then opened a packet of mine making yeast and poured that in.

Air Lock
As the juice ferments, it will produce carbon dioxode (CO2), which will push the air out of the demijohn. This is good; we don’t want air in there which will oxidise the wine. To prevent air getting back in , with all the microbes that it might be carrying, we use an air-lock. This is a plastic bubble-trap that is partly filled with water. As CO2 pressure builds up in the demijohn, it bubbles through the water allowing it to escape, but preventing air getting in.

Fermentation
After just a few minutes, fermentation had built up enough for it to start bubbling through the air-lock. It’s quite vigorous, which is why I put only 2 litres of juice in to start with. I’ll be adding the rest later. Check my next few posts to read about the progress.

March 21, 2012 · Phil Rogers · No Comments
Posted in: Wine making

Leave a Reply

Before you submit form:
Human test by Not Captcha